Sunday, June 20, 2010

Welcome to the world of wine in Kenya

The purpose of my blog is to inform and entertain the reader with regard to the world of wine in Nairobi Kenya. I have been based in Kenya for eighteen months and work within the environmental and development sector. My other passion is wine and I have no affiliation with any wine company or organisation. I am however a Cape Wine Academy student and having completed my Certificate and Diploma qualifications I am currently working my way towards becoming a Cape Wine Master. I teach wine classes here in Nairobi and I hope to report on some aspects of wine education in Kenya as we go along. I will provide information as to what is available within Kenya with regard to the main retail outlets. Wine consumption in Kenya is very much confined to a minority, but within the major urban centres there is a growing Kenyan middle class that are interested in and increasingly consuming wine. Kenya’s tourist industry through hotels and lodges is the major consumer of imported wines. What maybe interesting and perhaps even surprising to the reader, is that Kenya has its own wine producers and I will report on these pioneers of wine. I hope to provide a twist in that although I am not Kenyan I am intrigue and fascinated by different perceptions of wine tastes and styles that my Kenyan hosts provide.

1 comment:

  1. Great initiative Peter - looking forward to learning about the good buys available in Kenya. do you think that restaurant wines are overpriced in Nairobi?

    ReplyDelete